Monday 19 May 2014

Kheerganga


                                    This is what dreams are made of.

Ever heard of the phrase ‘The grass is greener on the other side’ ? THIS is the other side!!!



The trek to Kheerganga is not easy, it requires stamina and endurance. The roads are mucky, steep and slippery. Good footwear is a must and waterproof ones are advisable since you have to cross around 3 waterfalls to get there. It is also advisable to carry a stick for balance.




It takes around 4-5 hours to get to the top depending on one’s speed. And once you get there, trust me it’s worth it. You feel accomplished!!! There are 2 cafes on the way to Kheerganga that serve Parathas, Maggi, Coffee, Tea, Snacks and Sandwiches. So carrying food is not a necessity but carrying water is a must.



After the 4 hour hike you will find yourself on a huge ground surrounded by tall and majestic mountains all around crowned with white snow, and dense white clouds. I rubbed my eyes and pinched myself to confirm if I was not dreaming. It was totally like heaven on earth so peaceful and pure. And what feels better than dipping yourself in a hot sulphur spring after that long and tiring trek. It is indeed a reward to yourself.




We camped at Kheerganga on the first day, but on the second day we had to run for shelter at around 10 pm due to heavy rains, our tents we not waterproof. Bah ! And 10 pm at Kheerganga is like 3am in Bombay – Dark and Quiet. So I felt like a part of a Bollywood movie running to find shelter on a dark, lonely, cold and rainy night. And to my surprise, I jumped right from Bollywood to Hollywood. There was a huge hall that was full of people from different countries. Braids, piercings, dreadlocks, all tripping on what Parvati valley offers best (Hash). The restaurant is called Ice and Fire, and this is one place I will never forget. 50rs a night, that’s all I spent to sleep in a place with 3 heaters. I spend the night having long conversations and playing UNO with people I met for the first time. Hot-Boxed that I was, I eventually fell asleep in my sleeping bag.




I bet, you will never be able to sleep post 9am at Kheerganga. The atmosphere there is such. Getting up and dipping myself in the hot water spring was a routine. It was quite a culture shock at first watching naked woman having a bath together, I soon got used to it.
Our 2 day stay extended to become a 4 day stay due to the bad weather and continuous rainfall. It is really risky to hike down from Kheerganga when the weather is not favourable. And one thing I’ve learnt is that, anything is possible on the mountains. When does it ever rain in May? Whatever happed to summer! Phew. So, yes, there is no best time to visit Kheerganga the weather there has a mind of its own.



However, The 4 day stay at Kheerganga will surely be treasured forever. It is heaven to earth, indeed.

Things to do at Kheerganga  ...

2 comments:

  1. heyyyy is it safe for girls travelling alone to kasol and kheerganga??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do women really bathe naked there? Half naked? Foreigners or Indians? I have been there and outside the men's section of the kund, no nude bathing sign was there. Also, they were pretty strict with the separation of ladies. The girls in our groups were asked to leave the men's section.

    ReplyDelete